Continuing a trend towards increasing detailed taxpayer disclosures (which tax-exempt healthcare providers have seen through the recently re-vamped Form 990), the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), in Announcement 2010-9, 2010-7 (Jan.
Recently, the IRS released a final report on its 2006 nonprofit hospital study, which analyzes community benefit and compensation reporting by almost 500 hospitals. The IRS found that the average and median percentages of total revenues reported as spent on aggregate community benefit expenditures were 9% and 6%, respectively, for the overall group. AHA President and CEO Rich Umbdenstock said, “Today’s IRS report reaffirms that hospitals of all types are providing a healthy mix of care and services to the communities they serve.
Sens. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) and Jeff Bingaman (D-NM) propose amendments to the economic stimulus bill "intended to ratchet up the scrutiny on charity care and not-for-profit hospitals" says ModernHealthcare.com. The Wall Street Journal Health Blog reports that "[o]ne Grassley-sponsored amendment would require the Treasury department (which includes the IRS) to compare the amount of uncompensated care and executive compensation provided at nonprofit versus for-profit hospitals.
IRS Authority to Question Nonprofit Hospitals About Charity Care
“We don’t see much of a difference between nonprofit hospitals and for-profit hospitals,” said Theresa Pattara, a staff member of the office of Senate Finance Committee (SFC) ranking member Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa), at an American Health Lawyers Association program on September 12 in Washington D.C.
Browse Posts by Category
- AHIMA ICD-10 and Computer Assisted Coding Summit – Our Takeaways
- Navigating the Diabetes Self-Management Training (DSMT) Reimbursement Maze (Webinar Replay)
- The Medical Record – Best Evidence in Response to Audits (Webinar Replay)
- MEGA HIPAA Can Be An Opportunity!
- Compliance and the Hospital Value-Based Purchasing Program
- Beyond HIPAA: Developing Your Information Security Program
- Absorbing the Changes for Behavioral Health
- WK + MEA Partnership
- Maria Bounos from WKLB to co-host ICD10monitor’s Talk Ten Tuesday
- Security Risk Analysis: 12 Steps to Meaningful Results (Webinar Replay)
MediBlog - A Resource for the MediRegs User Group. MediBlog was designed to allow you the opportunity to communicate directly with MediRegs specialists as well as colleagues that work in your field of work.
- April 1, 20134.5
Recent Comments / Archives
you have to bill 80103
25 weeks 1 day ago
- Nice article
26 weeks 2 days ago
- Yes we did, thank you for
46 weeks 11 hours ago
1 year 2 weeks ago
- great news for the dms
1 year 7 weeks ago
- Multiple IDE Billing on one claim
1 year 13 weeks ago
- Normal Birth Example
1 year 17 weeks ago
- Billing of Assay Units
1 year 29 weeks ago
- S codes
1 year 30 weeks ago
- Electronic ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS CodeBook
2 years 2 weeks ago